The Samsung BlackJack doesn’t come with Java (J2ME/JME/MIDP/JAR/JAD) installed on it. So you can’t just download MXit or Opera Mini or any other Java apps to a Samsung i600.
But there is a way around.
You first need to install a Java MIDP emulator on your Samsung BlackJack device; usually called the JVM. Then you will be able to download any Java JAR/JAD program from your phone’s internet browser. After you have a Java Emulator for your Windows Mobile device, you can go to the mxit wap site www.mxit.co.za/wap and download the Samsung -> “Other” version. It will now work.
Here are the details
First get the Java Virtual Machine MIDP emulator.
- Go to handheld.softpedia.com.
- In the search box type IBM MIDP and search (GO).
- In the results page click the “IBM MIDP 2.0 Java Emulator” (Link) item.
- Proceed to download. (It’s free; +-2.5MB size) You can choose any location when they ask you for the “download location”.
- Install it etc.
- Now you will be able to go to www.mxit.co.za/wap on your Samsung i600 and download the Samsung “Other” version to your phone.
For the part where you have to download the JVM to your phone: You can either download it straight to your phone from its browser (internet) OR you can first download it to your computer and then upload it to your Samsung if you have the PC data cable for it. ActiveSync is the software to upload to your PocketPC.
There might be no sound when running it on the Samsung BlackJack unfortunately.
How a forum.mxit.co.za user (Reboot) got it to work
Got mxit to work on the samsung i600 blackjack.
* I installed the IBM JVM on the phone.
* Then downloaded the mxit jad (phone: Samsung; model: Other) file to my pc from www.mxit.co.za/wap
* Then sent it to my phone (under a mxit folder in My Documents).
* Then open the JVM emulator on your phone and go to Install. URL: file:///My Documents/mxit/*****.jad (***** is the jad file name, don’t really use stars here! Use the file’s name!) and mxit gets installed.
It’s a basic mxit (the Other version), so no sound and no skins supported.
Softkeys / buttons not working
Some people report their buttons not working on their Samsung using the IBM java emulator. (Even in Opera Mini)
There isn’t really a solution for it yet.
You can try checking if there is a newer version of the IBM Java emulator on softpedia.com; or try different versions of MXit (or whatever program you are trying to run).
Crashing or shutting down problem
Seems that the sound support on the IBM emulator for the i600/windows mobile is not working very well; it crashes the program.
So turn sounds off to solve the problem for now.
to all the people who got mxit to work on the i600 and get into mxit, but it shuts down as soon as you get a message…here is what you do, disable the sounds on incoming messages….thats in my instructions i send to the people who want to get mxit to work on their phones. thanks for all the feedback, im gettin tons of emails on how to get mxit to work on the i600, but on some peoples it won’t work, or doesn’t work…i assume that this has got to do with the network provider settings….sorry guyz.
keep on mxin!!!
hi…i got mxit 2 work on my i600, i can log in fine and everything but the prob is that while im on it doesnt shut down but instead my network keeps disconnecting, starts off with G, the the H and E but soon after it goes away and im stuck on mxit with no G or anything and then gotta relog, how can i fiz this? so that it stays connected??…..
Disabling your phone’s 3G may solve this problem. Please do the following to disable your phone’s 3G:
1. On your phone, go to “Menu” – “Settings” – “Phone” – “Band Select”
2. From the list of available options, select “GSM”
Once you have done that, please turn your phone off, turn it on again and then try MXit again.
This also happens to me but only at night time ore where the 3G and H signals arend stable. During the day i have no problem with mxit. and it also depends where I am at the time (agen only at night).
i cant get mxit on my i600 because it is not listed so can sum1 plz tell me how 2 get it!
To get MXit working on your phone, please do the following:
First you’ll have to get a JVM for your phone:
- Open your phone’s default wap browser.
- Go to http://tinyurl.com/327ych
(If that URL doesn’t work, please go to http://handheld.softpedia.com/get/Emulators/IBM-MIDP-2-0-Java-Emulator-38910.shtml )
- Download the IBM MIDP 2.0 Java Emulator
- Once the download has completed, install the IBM MIDP 2.0 Java Emulator on your phone
Then you’ll need to download a suitable version of MXit:
- Open your phone’s default wap browser
- Go to http://www.mxit.co.za/wap
- Select “Download MXit”
- Select “Other phone”
- Select “Samsung” and press “Accept”
- Select “Other” and press “Accept”
- Follow the remaining on-screen steps to download MXit.
- Once the download has completed, return to your phone’s standby screen
Do the following to run MXit:
- Open the IBM MIDP 2.0 Java Emulator
- Select MXit from the list of available applications
You could try this Java VM:
Mysaifu JVM is a Java Virtual Machine which runs on Windows Mobile.
It is a free software…
Project objective is make a Java Virtual Machine which conforms to the J2SE(Java2 Standard Edition).
The following operating systems are supported by latest version of this JVM.
Windows Mobile 5.0
Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition software for Pocket PC (Pocket PC 2003 SE)
Windows Mobile 2003 software for Pocket PC (Pocket PC 2003)
With a HTC MTeoR the sequence is:
3. Band Select
This should switch the phone to GSM only mode.
b.t.w. The i-Mate / HTC phones do not have much extra java APIs (no file access, no sending of SMS, no access to the camera from within Java), so basically the only extra feature will be the ability to download skins.